28 June 2015

A Before and After Story: The Baker's Rack




A Before and After Story: The Baker's Rack




For the 4th of July holiday, my son and I are visiting grandma! Unfortunately, my husband had to stay home, due to having classes while we were gone. So, since grandma works most of the day, we are lazing around her apartment without much to do. I decided to make myself useful and do something special for her. I would also like to mention that particular post is participating in IHeart Organizing's "Wait-No-More" organizing challenge. You can check out Jen's blog here.

She has a pretty small kitchen which doesn't allow for much cabinet space and no pantry. Enter, the wire baker's rack...hmmm, look familiar?? Yes! It's exactly like the one we have in our kitchen back home


.



Here is what it looked like before. No question it was in need of some work. Lots of packaging, containers and bins literally overflowing with chips, oatmeal, you name it!



So, lets get started!


I started by taking everything off to begin with a nice, clean empty space. I cleaned down the rack's shelves with some Clorox wipes.




Then, it was time to take all of the nearly emptied packages of snacks out. Look at all the packaging I ended up with. For the most part, I'd say that cut down on quite a bit of the clutter already. Any expired foods were also thrown out. 



Now, it was time to sort and categorize. Cans, sauces, dressings all went in one big bin. Dry goods, pasta and a lot of her trail mixes went into the other large bin. I divided the two black bins into breakfast foods, like oatmeal and grits. The other one held snack foods like granola bars and fruit cups.






 I found two round trays hiding among the clutter and decided to gather all of the tea, coffee and sugar onto one of the trays. Almost like the coffee station we created here. So she wouldn't have to go searching for it in the mornings. 





Lastly, the very bottom shelf will hold some paper goods as well as plastic baggies and trash bags.


And we're done! 


Let's take a look at the Before and After of this makeshift pantry.








Overall, I am fairly pleased with what I could do. Considering it was spontaneous. The fact she had all the bins already, really helped to cut down on costs, because I didn't have to purchase anything! It's amazing what just reducing the bulk of packaging and purging certain items can do to a space! 



P.S. Don't worry, all of the packaging went to recycling.



Have you ever had a spur of the moment itch to want to organize something? 














No comments:

Post a Comment